James and I began this blog at the very beginning of our pregnancy with Wyatt to share and update our new adventures as we became pregnant and start the new season of parenthood. Sixteen weeks into pregnancy, I had to go into surgery to ensure our son would not come too early and shortly after, we found out Wyatt has Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia (CDH). This is our humble attempt at being transparent and hopefully sharing the joys and love of Christ through this roller coaster ride we're on. And now to share even more with the new miracle on the way.

Sunday, June 15, 2014

Feeding Camp Days 16-19

Whew.  I was not prepared for how busy and how tired I would be getting to be in the room and feeding Wyatt myself.  My days have ended and all I've wanted to was lay down and turn my brain off.  Again, I was not prepared.  I didn't think it'd be that different sitting and watching him through the mirror and actually being in there.  But it is a big difference.

A friend sent me this and I just liked it a lot.  

It's gone well overall I think.  His volume is still way down and he still has standoffs.  I've had moments where I've wondered if this was the right decision?  If this program is for us or not?  But in my gut, I know we should be here.  This is for us.

We had some concern for a couple of days.  Wyatt's feet and hands were YELLOW.  So they took some blood for a liver panel.  Everything came back normal.  No idea why he was yellow.  They also did testing for gluten tolerance.  I keep forgetting to ask about those results, I'm guessing normal.    

While his volume isn't up yet, he has made some big steps in his development and mouth motor skills... if that is such a thing.  Before coming, he could not move his tongue side to side, laterally, at all.  Now he is making very small twitches and slightly crossing his mid-line with ihs tongue.  That's wonderful.  His gross and fine motor skills have improved as well as his language.  And we still have 10 days left.

I was trying to fold laundry, watch some hulu and let Wyatt play on the ipad.  he decided that he needed to be half way in my lap to play ipad.  Silly boy!  

I've heard stories of families whose kiddos make giant steps in eating in the last week of being here.  My prayers are that this is true for Wyatt as well.  That the volume he takes in by mouth increases dramatically.

Wyatt brought me his shoes and insisted that I put them on.  I tried to convince him to get the correct ones not nope... two RIGHT shoes.  ;-) 

He really does enjoy food and all the flavors that he has tasted so far.  Plain and simple, he doesn't know what to do with it in his mouth and he doesn't connect hunger to eating.  Tonight, James was eating some watermelon and Wyatt was picking up a piece, putting it in James' hand for him to hold up to his mouth so that he could lick and taste it because he likes it.  Over and over again he did that same thing.

Wyatt pushing his friend Grant around on the blue squirrel.  

PLEASE pray with us.  Please beg the Lord that it would click for Wyatt in the next 10 days.  That we can return home knowing we are so much closer to Wyatt being an eater and able to not use his button.  And for peace for wherever we are when we leave here.  Thank you so much!

In the car, leaving Baylor, as a family.  Wyatt looks super excited! ;-) 

James did his in room observing yesterday and got to feed dinner tonight for the first time.  We've now both fed him.  We've both had to endure standoffs as well as successful eating.

Looking at all the animals. 

We also got to leave the hospital yesterday for a few hours as a family.  It was very refreshing to "get away" for the morning.  We went to the Dallas World Aquarium and Manny's Uptown for lunch.  We had to feed Wyatt lunch at the DWA.  James was his high chair.  I set the timer and followed protocol as best we could where we were.  He did good until the end.  He didn't want to drink his milk the last 2 minutes.

Wyatt was very clingy to Daddy.  I think he missed him while he was away with work.  

Daddy missed Wyatt while he was away at work as well.  

Very big fish!

Gigantic fish!  

A manatee and  sea turtles.  

Giant crabs!



OUT TO EAT!  Manny's Uptown!

Such a happy boy! 

I don't think I've had a sip of alcohol in about 6 weeks... that was one strong sangria and it was delicious!  

James feeds Wyatt per protocol for the first time.  

Wyatt lays in Mommy's bed watching netflix before bed. 

Sara and Miss Kensley came for a visit last week!  

Brenna and Miss Aurora came to visit us as well.

We also had a couple of other visitors but forgot pictures.  Thank you Miss Amber, Aunt Robin and Uncle Stuart for coming to see us both! 


  1. Praying for all his new skills and learning to fall into place these last ten days! You're doing a terrific job Mama!!

  2. Casey....
    "Before coming, he could not move his tongue side to side, laterally, at all. Now he is making very small twitches and slightly crossing his mid-line with his tongue. That's wonderful." Very good, Wyatt!! ;-D
    "We also got to leave the hospital yesterday for a few hours as a family. It was very refreshing to "get away" for the morning." Yay!! I am so very glad that you were able to leave the hospital as a family!! ;)
    Hugs and prayers!!
    Love you later, Raelyn