James and I began this blog at the very beginning of our pregnancy with Wyatt to share and update our new adventures as we became pregnant and start the new season of parenthood. Sixteen weeks into pregnancy, I had to go into surgery to ensure our son would not come too early and shortly after, we found out Wyatt has Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia (CDH). This is our humble attempt at being transparent and hopefully sharing the joys and love of Christ through this roller coaster ride we're on. And now to share even more with the new miracle on the way.

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Feeding Camp Day 5

I have mixed feelings that the weekend is over.  The days (I know I've only had 2 of them...but I'm told it doesn't change) seem to draaaaaa.....aaaaaaaa....aaaaaaggggggggg....  But at the same time, James is here and our little family unit is complete (minus our furry friend, Ronix- but he's in good hands at my parents house).  

James was tired so he rested on my shoulder while we watched Wyatt eat.  The room we sit in has to stay dark so Wyatt can't see us behind the two way mirror.
Today was a much better day.  No one told me I had to or couldn't do something.  ;-)  JK... well, not kidding but that's not what made the day better.  My spirits were just up in general, so thank you to anyone and every one that prayed for me and us.  

Wyatt slept in until 7:40!  Loving blackout curtains! ;-)  He was in a good mood.  We went to breakfast at 9 took in almost 3oz.  Not his best work but for some reason he doesn't usually eat that much first thing.  From my understanding breakfast is a typical *star* meal for kiddos coming off not eating all night.  Leave it to Wyatt to go against the grain!  lol.  

When he woke up he a little bit of a runny nose so I decided that we'd keep clear of others today just to be cautious... both ways cautious.  If he does have something, I wouldn't want anyone else to get it and if he is fighting something off, I'd like to go ahead and keep all the other germies (kids) away from him to prevent more sickness. The cutie pa-toot-ie 2 doors down has an ear infection and on and off fever.  He's been quarantined to his room until he's been on meds 24 hours as well as fever free for 24 hours.  Scary!  Thankfully, Wyatt and I still had fun in the room.  

Isn't he cute!?!  

At lunch Wyatt did a good job eating as well.  2.5oz of milk, almost an ounce of blended spaghetti and a few bites of peaches.  That was a good meal for him.  He didn't have any "stand offs" (refusal to take his bite or drink... and they DO NOT move on to something else until he takes the bite/drink offered to him) and had fun.  

The doctor gave me some Zyrtec to give Wyatt for his runny nose.  She said it could be allergies or the beginning of a cold.  I asked her if it'd make him sleepy and she said it could or it couldn't.  You never know, with each kid it differs.  We lay Wyatt down for nap right after his lunch so I thought, might as well give it to him to help that runny nose.  Drainage can ruin eating for him. 

Wyatt fell asleep.  It took him a while, as usual but 3 o'clock approached very quickly and Wyatt looked to be sound asleep.  I asked our nurse to find out if there were any way to push his snack back to 4 and thankfully we were able to do so.  

Well, then 3:45 happens and he's still SOUND. A. SLEEP.... like out cold.  But I had to wake him up.  He was not a happy camper.  Oh my.  I could not put him down or he'd have a Wyatt sized melt down.  Thankfully, he hasn't figured out what a real melt down looks like.  We stay clear of those around here, wouldn't want him to learn and we've seen a few.  haha.  

James getting Wyatt to be in a good mood so he will eat!

We try to wait until the last minute to walk down to where we meet the feeding tech/speech therapist so that he doesn't get upset and clingy having to leave me to go into his room to eat.  This time we also decided to let James walk him in instead of me.  

Well, let me tell you, that didn't work this time.  He W.A.S.  N.O.T.  H.A.V.I.N.G.  I.T.   Oh my!  In his 25 minutes of allotted eating time, he only took in an ounce.  He cried, pushed away his sweet feeding tech's hands and nothing worked.  Not Super Why!, not Barney, not any toy cats, not any animals, nothing made sound or lights up... nothing.  So basically for 20 minutes of that 25, he cried and was upset.  Some of the cutest sad faces ever but nothing... that poor, sweet lady!  

The love I have for these two is out of this world and the love James has for his son is captivating.  

He continued "Mommy is the ONLY thing I want and keeps me not crying" mood.  lol.  He's so stinking lucky he is super cute or that just wouldn't fly.  ;-)  I really don't mind when he's whiny, hopefully he won't mind when I'm whiny when he gets older.  :-)

About 15 minutes before Wyatt's dinner time, James suggested we go ahead and leave the room and let Wyatt walk around before we just take him straight to the feeding room.  He's one smart man!  He and Wyatt went to the playground and ran around and slid down the slide and then when I was his feeding tech, I waved them on in.  I let the two of them walk ahead of me and James took him to his room.  It was MUCH better and being outside put him in a happier mood.  PTL!  :-)  

Coming in to eat.  

Wyatt had fun again in dinner and at 3.25 ounces.  Another PTL.  We REALLY liked our feeding tech today.  Our other techs are also great but she seemed to "get" Wyatt.  She interacted with him somewhat like I would.  She communicated well and used the way he played like teaching moments.  James and I both just liked her and will request her any time she is working.  Unfortunately, she doesn't seem to work much, I asked.  

Wyatt asleep!

We took Wyatt back outside after he did such a good job to reward him.  We'll go outside to play more than him doing good in his feeding sessions but we thought that he might connect getting to right after with doing well.  Hopefully.  :-)  We brought him after he threw up a little from trying to poop.  This happens frequently with tubie kiddos.  They struggle with on and off again constipation.  

He went to bed in his usual fashion.  

I'm looking forward to a full week of therapy.   Ready for 5 consistent days of routine.  :-)  Crazy, right?!?  

God is good.
I can't say that enough.  

As promised, our room!!

Our room has two doors, like the other room.  It's nice for a couple of reasons.  They keep more noise out, there is a playroom right outside our door as well as the hallway bathroom.  I can also put stuff together in there while Wyatt sleeps.  :-)  

We used command hooks to put blackout curtains up.  There are two on the right, where Wyatt sleeps.  I take the one on the left down when Wyatt is awake so we have natural light and he can look out at the cars.  

Wyatt's pack-n-play is behind the brown shower curtain.  I put that up so that he has "privacy".  I can sit in bed and write blogs while he attempts to look around to see me, then lays down and crashes! 

We have a shower and a toilet behind a curtain.  James was sweet and bought us a bathmat and an extra shower mat for us to stand on .  I also wear flip flops.  The white bin is my clothes and the dark ones are Wyatt's.  

Wyatt's bed.  

1 comment:

  1. Casey....
    I am so very glad that your spirits were up!! That helps when days seemingly drag on!! ;)
    I am sorry that Wyatt has a runny nose!! Hopefully he gets better from whatever it is his little body may be fighting!! ;)
    "At lunch Wyatt did a good job eating as well. 2.5oz of milk, almost an ounce of blended spaghetti and a few bites of peaches. That was a good meal for him." Yay, Wyatt!! ;-D
    I am so very sorry that Wyatt had such a hard time with that feeding!! He was not feeling well!! Poor Baby!! I am so very sorry that Wyatt vomited and was constipated!! Not fun. :-(
    Hugs and prayers!! ;)
    Love you later, Raelyn