James and I began this blog at the very beginning of our pregnancy with Wyatt to share and update our new adventures as we became pregnant and start the new season of parenthood. Sixteen weeks into pregnancy, I had to go into surgery to ensure our son would not come too early and shortly after, we found out Wyatt has Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia (CDH). This is our humble attempt at being transparent and hopefully sharing the joys and love of Christ through this roller coaster ride we're on. And now to share even more with the new miracle on the way.

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Feeding Camp Days 14 and 15

I couldn't blog yesterday.  I was so frustrated.  Wyatt barely ate all.day.long.  And not because he wouldn't take his bites but because he wouldn't drink his milk.  If he doesn't drink his milk, he doesn't get to move onto taking bites.  At dinner, he took his first three bites and refused his milk in a full fledged stand off for 25 minutes.   AHHHHHH!  I wanted to cry. I wanted to bang on the glass or put my head through it, not sure which... or run into the room.  It was two difficult days back to back.

Stealing some sugars!

If you are a mom or dad of a "normal" kiddo reading this, I have a request.  Please, stop reading this right now.  Stop and pray.  Thank our sweet Lord for your child(ren).  Praise His sweet name for your parenting struggles.  Praise His name for the fact that your kid(s) can do what should come naturally, like eat.  Thank Him for your picky eater.  (I promise you, after one meal of a feeding disorder you'd gladly take your picky eater battles.)  Just be thankful!!

Happy the mud is drying and we can run around outside again! 

I am thankful for days and emotions like I've had for the last couple of days.  Those days force me to lean on the Lord and those around me.  They are humbling and sanctifying.  I'm reminded of how big our God is and in control He is.  He wrote those days and those emotions.  And when the days get better and the emotions are happier, they that much sweeter.  I find that much more joy in all the moments coming to us.

This picture just cracks me up!  It's like he's had a hard day and just need to stand there and relax for a minute!  

I got to sit in the room today while Wyatt ate his meals.  I didn't feed him but I could talk to him.  I could encourage him to take his bites and drink his milk and praise him when did those things.  It's a learning curve because it's literally scripted speech but I'm okay with that.  He took his bites and he drank his milk with no stand offs today.  His volume was still no where near what I've seen his max get to.  Today was still successful.  No standoffs is success for today and I needed it.  I think Wyatt needed it too.  I found myself getting choked up with each bite, drink or silly face he made today.  I was am just so thankful.

Daddy and Wyatt having a good time on Sunday. 


We did have one little hiccup today.  For lunch, a tech trainee sat in on the feeding, to be the person feeding him.  It was her first time feeding so needless to say, a lot of time was wasted, not for her, she was learning.  While I am all for them learning and they need to get in there and do it but of all days, this was N.O.T. the day for Wyatt to be the kid they were getting the experience with.  Our overall goal is sheer total volume.  The slow moving feeder doesn't aid high volume.  All that was at lunch so before snack time I spoke to our fearless leader.  She agreed and it was the usual tech feeding him for the rest of the day.

Tomorrow I will get to be the one actually feeding Wyatt. I'm kind of nervous.  Prayers for my consistency with protocol and Wyatt's willingness and desire to also fall his part of the protocol.


1 comment:

  1. Casey....
    "If you are a mom or dad of a 'normal' kiddo reading this, I have a request. Please, stop reading this right now. Stop and pray. Thank our sweet Lord for your child(ren). Praise His sweet name for your parenting struggles. Praise His name for the fact that your kid(s) can do what should come naturally, like eat. Thank Him for your picky eater. (I promise you, after one meal of a feeding disorder you'd gladly take your picky eater battles.) Just be thankful!!" Very good!! ;)
    "He took his bites and he drank his milk with no stand offs today. His volume was still nowhere near what I've seen his max get to. Today was still successful." Thanks be to God!! ;-D
    Love you later, Raelyn


    ReplyDelete