James and I began this blog at the very beginning of our pregnancy with Wyatt to share and update our new adventures as we became pregnant and start the new season of parenthood. Sixteen weeks into pregnancy, I had to go into surgery to ensure our son would not come too early and shortly after, we found out Wyatt has Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia (CDH). This is our humble attempt at being transparent and hopefully sharing the joys and love of Christ through this roller coaster ride we're on. And now to share even more with the new miracle on the way.

Saturday, May 5, 2012

Praise God from Whom All Blessing Flow

It's been a busy and not so busy few weeks.  My apologies for my absence and lack of updating.  Lately, no new news has been good news!  :-)

I went to see Dr. Watkins.  I am no longer receiving sonograms from her office since I'm getting them every week from Dr. Hickman.  As much as I would love to see Wyatt even more, this is a good thing.  Our insurance only covers 80% of everything and the bills have begun to come in and we don't need to see a charge for an unneeded sonogram on there.  At my appointment (Dr. Watkins monthly) I was weighed- I'm doing good on my weight gain, measured- good as far as I know, Wyatt's heart rate was taken, given a progesterone shot, had blood taken for my thyroid- results came back "not just good but perfect" and got to share Wyatt's pictures with Dr. Watkins and my nurse Izzy!  One great thing that came out of this office visit was that Dr. Watkins said I could come in every other week to get shots without making an appointment or being charged with an office visit.  I just need to call in and make sure they aren't backed up.  It's perfect!  

A week and half ago James and I went in to for our "cervix check up" appointment.  Dr. Hickman was on her honeymoon having fun so we got to meet her partner, Dr. Zaretsky.  He is a really nice guy, knows what he is talking about just like Dr. Hickman but also puts it a different way that was nice too.  What we found out at that visit:

Questions asked:
  • Since my cervix is holding so strong, can my workout restrictions change at all?
    • It's about the same.  I can walk, swim and do some light yoga. 
  • I've had some periods of time where I feel a little down, not necessarily depressed or for any longer then a morning or so but is this something to be concerned about?
    • No but going swimming or for a walk should help.
  • How close to painting can I be?
    • Not at all or in a professional grade mask for shorter periods of time and well circulated air flow.  (We opted for me to just not be near it at all!)
  • In the best case scenario, what is the shortest amount of time Wyatt could spend in the NICU?
    • It could be as little as 48 hours for Wyatt to go into surgery or it could be weeks.  Then he would have recovery.  It could be a big range of possibilities, a couple of months to over 100 days.  It all depends on how strong his lungs are when he arrives to how he takes surgery.  We found out we really hope an ECMO machine is not needed.  That pretty much means Wyatt has a 50/50 chance of making it home. 
  • Measurements from sonogram:
    • The doctors are looking for a head to lung ratio of 1.4 and our little Wyatt is measuring a 2.3 (bigger is better!)
    • Then there was another percentage taken but neither James nor I can remember what it is exactly BUT we do remember that a good result would be 45% and Wyatt is measuring at 65% (again, bigger is better and we were told this is EXCELLENT!) 
  • It was mentioned that Wyatt has a lot of fluid to float around in.  No one seemed concerned but I am wondering what this could mean, if anything.  
  • Last but not least, I got a shot!  James is in the clear! 
So, once again, we've gotten good news for our situation.  We've just been really encouraged through how good God is.  Even if we weren't getting all these good results, I feel like we've just been given this faith that can come from no where else except the Lord.  There is just a peace about this little one growing inside of me.  Thank you once again for following along with us, praying for us and the doctors and encouraging us so much!  

Wyatt has been moving like a crazy man.  He has to be really strong.  I've taken some punches and kicks that only a strong little baby boy could give.  :-)  At times, I can watching him moving.  He literally moves my stomach already.  This is probably normal for being at the end of my 2nd trimester but I like to take it as more encouragement!  

On Wednesday, James and I go in for double appointments.  At 1:30, we'll see the fetal cardiologist, Dr. Gibbin again for our check up.  If you recall, we got lots of good news from her a month ago.  We're just praying that Wyatt's heart shows continued growth and development.  That his chambers are still a good size, his ventricles and aortic arch aren't narrowed, his valves continue to look good, there be no leaks and there be no fluid around his heart.  Directly after the echo, James and I will venture on downstairs to see Dr. Hickman for one of the long looks at Wyatt.  He'll get lots of measurements taken and we'll hopefully have some more updates.  

Coming up soon we'll begin seeing Parkland and Children's, get a fetal MRI and meet up with our team. :-)  

On another note, the school year is in the 7th inning stretch.  There are 18 kid days left and 19 days total.  It's a crazy feeling.  On one hand, it feels like any other year that is coming to a close and on the other hand, this is it.  No more classroom teaching until further notice.  Wow!  I love my job, my school, the staff, the parents and most of all my kiddos.  I will miss it greatly (well, not the grading and report cards but everything else).  Packing up my classroom is going to be a beast.  I don't know what to  keep (just in case and for teaching at home), what to give away, what to leave for who takes my place and what to trash.  James will be up there on my last day to help me and knowing him, he'll want to trash it all... so anything I want to keep, I better pack up ASAP!  :-)  

Wyatt has now also been to his first Texas Rangers and Dallas Mavericks games!!  Whoop Whoop! 

James and our friend Chad started painting the nursery today.  I was completely kicked out of the upstairs because of how strong the primer was.  Hopefully next weekend they can knock out the actual painting!!!  I'm so excited to see everything come together.  I've got a small plan for his bathroom as well!  Pictures will come as we make some progress.  I also taped his curtains.  I am making them stripes!  :-)  

I made a new chalkboard, finally.  I'll take a belly picture tomorrow before church and post a "weekly" update! 

On another note, someone near and dear to my heart found out she has stage one breast cancer.  She goes in May 9th for a full mastectomy.  If you would keep her, her family and her doctors in your prayers well, we would really appreciate it greatly.  

No comments:

Post a Comment