James and I began this blog at the very beginning of our pregnancy with Wyatt to share and update our new adventures as we became pregnant and start the new season of parenthood. Sixteen weeks into pregnancy, I had to go into surgery to ensure our son would not come too early and shortly after, we found out Wyatt has Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia (CDH). This is our humble attempt at being transparent and hopefully sharing the joys and love of Christ through this roller coaster ride we're on. And now to share even more with the new miracle on the way.

Sunday, April 15, 2012

NHE PTA 2012 Auction Night and Some Other Stuff

The school I currently work at, Northwood Hills Elementary, is a wonderful school with wonderful teachers, parents and students.  I couldn't have asked for a better place to work for the past 5 years.  (Side note- I spent my student teaching semester and did subbing in LISD and my first year teaching in FWISD- so I've got some background in more than one district to be able to compare and RISD & NHE has surpassed the others by a lot! I don't have any complaints about LISD except they didn't hire me.)  Anyway, the NHE PTA host an auction every year.  
A couple of these have been pretty eventful for James and me.  My first year, it was held at a local Mexican establishment and was on moving day for us.  James stayed home with the movers while I went on to school.  When I came home to our brand new apartment, literally it was brand spankin' new!  We were the first ones to live in our unit!  It was small and awesome.  The office gave a list of things we needed to do and some don'ts- one being running everything that involves water a couple of times before actually using them.  For example- the dishwasher, the ice maker and the washing machine.  James was tired from moving and decided to stay home while I wanted to go ahead and go on to the dinner and auction.  So, he goes ahead and starts the dish washer and washing machine, I get in the shower to get ready and he sits on the floor in the bathroom to eat his bowl of cereal (which is what he would have every night if I didn't cook or keep food in the house!).  To save water & electricity, James had just set the front load washer to the shortest cycle which had never been used before.  He is sitting there and we're talking while I'm showering and I poke my head out to say something and notice the water level in the washer is really high and there's a small dribble leaking out of the bottom of the door.  James starts poking around the washer trying to figure out what is going on and checking connections and such because this has never happened before (nor has it happened since- probably because we're too scared to use that particular cycle again).  He then leans over the washer to look behind it and we think his hip must have hit the unlock button because when he pulled away the door swung open and it was like watching the waters flood the halls of the Titanic.  It came pouring out and flooding the bathroom.  Keep in mind I'm still in the shower watching this happen and everything we have is still in boxes!  So, James takes the one towel I have to keep the water from hitting the carpet in our bedroom and I'm jumping around the living room towel-less looking for the box with towels to wrap up in and keep the flood waters from going through the other door and onto the hardwood floors.  There really was like an inch or two of standing water we were trying to soak up with towels and sheets.  James has me get on the computer to add renters insurance to our policy right away just in case we've caused some actual damage while he's still moping up the water.  It was crazy.  I still had to get ready to go to the auction.  Needless to say, I was late and frazzled.  When I got there Jenny & Alexis were sure to get me a giant margarita.  It was a fun, unforgettable night.  The next year it was a James Bond theme and was just fun and the year after that was moving week again but into the house we're in now - there was a Vegas theme.  No flooding here, praise be to God.  Last year was fun on a cruise ship.  James always enjoys the gambling.  This was fun and bittersweet.  It's my last one- it was the 80's!
I turned in my official resignation to Richardson and my principal this week.  I'm so sad to leave this school- my boss, my friends and staff, my parents- whom many James and I both consider to be good friends, and all my kiddos.  Not seeing them each and everyday, growing and learning is super sad but with that said I am also very, very excited for my new roll as mommy.  I'm excited to watch Wyatt grow and learn and to take care of him, my husband more and our home.  I know it's where the Lord wants me.  James and I have planned for this since we got married almost 4 1/2 years ago.  There are men and women who work, take wonderful care of their children and home and do it all in the amazing way.  I know myself and know for me to give 100% at home, I can't be at work giving 100% as well.  I want to do what is best for Wyatt and James and we feel this is what is best.  As stated before, it is bitter sweet!

Here are a few pictures from this years auction.  
(I wish I had taken more with all the people I love so much!)
Denise Young, myself & Alexis Didier
These two women have become very close friends over the years!



My partner in all 1st grade crimes, Emily Barnes.  She has been an amazing coworker and friend for all of my 1st grade experience!  

The entire 1st grade team, myself, Penni Lewis (whom NEVER allows herself to be in pictures- so I feel honored) and Emily Barnes.  

So, here I am on the stage with the real live auctioneer.  My job was to actually try and understand what he was saying and write down who bid on what amount.  It was fun.  



This is my principal, Mackie Kazdoy.  She has been a wonderful boss and friend for 5 years now.  I have never felt like I couldn't go to her with anything- good, bad, personal or professional.  I praise God for who He has created in you my friend.  Wyatt is going to love his Mackie times!  haha.  :-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment