James and I began this blog at the very beginning of our pregnancy with Wyatt to share and update our new adventures as we became pregnant and start the new season of parenthood. Sixteen weeks into pregnancy, I had to go into surgery to ensure our son would not come too early and shortly after, we found out Wyatt has Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia (CDH). This is our humble attempt at being transparent and hopefully sharing the joys and love of Christ through this roller coaster ride we're on. And now to share even more with the new miracle on the way.

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy New Year

 
We made it through another year, family fully intact.  Praise be only to the King!  We are so thankful for what God blessed us with in 2012.  It's a year I will never, ever forget for all of my numbered days.  It had many difficult days that God gave us strength to get through.  He showed us that He is in complete control and is a mighty powerful God.  Against worldly odds, He gave us our son, Wyatt.  Through His gifts of medical advances, I am able to hold my almost 6 month old, sleeping & snoring son in my arms as I type this post right here and now.  Who could ask for me?  Not me.  Of course with my bent to sin heart, I often do ask for more, frivolous things but in all honesty, I feel like I have it all.  Jesus saved my heart and that is all.  The rest?  Icing on the cake!  Thank you Lord for the many, many people you have blessed me/us with in our lives.  We are surrounded by so many that love us and pray for us. 
 
Look who woke up!!  Happy New Year everyone! :-)
 
 "Who is wise and understanding among you? By his good conduct let him show his works in the meekness of wisdom." -James 3:13 ESV
 
My hope is that I can continually glorify God with my heart, my words and actions.  I have shied away from making new years resolutions.  As a Christian, I feel like I should always be "resolving" to be more Christ-like.  Don't get me wrong, I'm setting a few goals for this coming year, especially as my life and schedule have changed dramatically these days (for the better in my opinion!).  So, here it goes.... Here are my resolutions!
 
I want to look outward more.  What I mean that is instead of focusing on myself and my immediate surrounds, I want to see beyond James, Wyatt and ME.  It's a big world out there and there is a lot going on.  For so long now it's been all about Wyatt and it still will continue because he is who God has entrusted with us but he can't be our only focus!  So, here are some organizations and ministries I want to pray for and support either through prayer or financially.  I don't feel "time" is something that is much of an option right now, that's what Wyatt gets to have the majority of. 
 
Guatemala - These are good friends of ours, John and Sarah Herrington, with their son Jackson.  They've been with us since we got married and it's been a pleasure to walk beside them! 
 
CHERUBS - This is a research and support organization for families affected by Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia (CDH).  This is what Wyatt has/had.  I don't think I utilize this group/website enough but at the same time, I think I did as much as I needed, if that makes sense.  I want to help other families that have to battle this hideous monster of CDH.  Not all stories are as sweet as ours has been and not all families have the hope of Christ to rely on for support and encouragement. 
 
Berlin - These are also friends of ours.  For their protection, we call them "John & Ruth".  It's been fun to get to know this family and their giving hearts.  We don't physically get to hang out, as we are on opposite sides of the metroplex world but through FB, blogs and text, it's been a pleasure! :-)
 
 I do still have some self goals too.  We can always improve ourselves right?  I mean, who wants to be content with being stagnant?  I believe there is a difference in being good with where the Lord has you and continually seeking ways to be more Christ-like and just being, not moving forward.... as well as the opposite of it never being enough. 
 
I want to read more of the Bible and know more about the Lord and at times I just want to have more of a desire for these things.  I have a friend, several in fact, that just thirst for Godly knowledge.  It's like the thirst is never quenched.  The one friend in particular, whom I've said all this to on more then one occasion, just keeps wanting more and it's so encouraging and convicting at the same time.  I'm always in awe of the ways God is working in her.  Throughout my pregnancy, Wyatt's birth, his NICU stay and now having him home, I don't think I've ever lost my faith.  That's held strong but my discipline in reading and now with Wyatt being home, praying.  It's like I get going in the morning with him and before I know it, I'm back in bed ready to be asleep- having not prayed or read the word... or what I feel is even worse- not whole heartedly taking in what little I did read.   In the past week, I've found a blog/website called "SHE READS TRUTH" and a journaling format that can fit anything I read!  So perfect! (I've read for the day but haven't journaled just yet).
 
Physically, I want to work out 3 times a week.  This frequency used to be more but with Wyatt and his inability to go into childcare, me staying away from public germs as much as possible, and just Wyatt's needs in general keeps it limited.  So, this can be a walk, yoga video, a xbox Kinect something or other count.  Three times a week is doable.  I can do it!  Thankfully, keeping Wyatt upstairs keeps me "climbing stairs".  I probably go up and down at least 25 times a day if not double... just depends on the day.  :-)  I know my body is forever changed and well worth it but I still want to stay healthy.  James and I both have medical family histories that can go bad so we do what we can to keep it from happening. 
 
In support of a friend and for my own health benefit I guess, I'm giving up sodas.  She is doing it because of the sugar content. I drink zero or diet drinks so that can't be my reason.  I just enjoy them but know they don't benefit me.  So, it's hot tea and coffee for me!  :-) 
 
In general, through all this I hope I can be a better example of Christ, a better wife, a better mother and a better friend.  These are my hopes!
 
Then there are general goals for our family and things that just need to happen. 
 
I hope to help Wyatt to become a better "eater".  Right now he's taking in ZERO nutrition through his mouth.  At the end of the month, if he is ready, I hope to begin introducing solids.  I am praying that he just loves the many different flavors and can't get enough.  I know I, personally, can't make this happen for him but I do hope that I do everything in my power to encourage and support him in his challenges. 
 
I also pray about his mobility.  As he grows, he moves more and soon it'll be crawling or walking.  How do I, as his mother, encourage this if he has to be connected to a feeding pump and oxygen?  What does this look like? Oh my!  So, I know we'll get it all figured out as we cross each bridge but it's just hard to imagine.  :-)
 
We also need to begin "staging" our home to be put on the market for sale.  (Anybody wanna live in Sachse?  We go on the market some time in April, God willing!)  I have tons of ideas and have pinned tons of pins on pinterest but we need to keep our budget in mind.  The area we want to move to, will also require us to change our expectations on what our house will look like.  The land in that area is more expensive so we'll most likely being going to an older, smaller home but it will put us many, many....many miles closer to James' office.  Our 30 year home will be our 3 year home... hope this isn't the beginning of a pattern.  Haha. 
 
Future family.  Just to seek the Lord on what the future of our family looks like.  When do begin trying for Wyatt's brother or sister? 
 
 
This list of things to pray about, work on... resolve...whatever you want to call it is ever changing.  Our lives are continually changing, as they should be, so our goals and ambitions must as well. 
 
I hope each of  you found joy in 2012 and seek joy in 2013.  Happy New Year! 
 
Thanks Whitney & Chad for spending New Year's Eve with as a relaxing, fun night at home.
 
A New Year's Kiss!  Love my husband!
 
A sleepy baby in his New Year's outfit!
(A sweet gift from Whitney and Chad!)
 
Just one of my most favorite smiles around! 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. I loved this post Casey, you are amazing! Thanks for the inspiration, thanks for your wisdom and thank you for being the most incredible mommy to a little boy that is so very loved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny! You're so sweet and a wonderful mommy as well! :-) Alexis told me you already got your SA #! How exciting! You'll have to message me so I can keep in touch!!! :-)

      Delete